You must definitely have a dream college that you want to join once you graduate from high school. After going through the rigorous admission process, capable candidates are selected based on their applications and their attempt at the “college admission essay”. Yes, the college admission essay is an important step that you have to take to enter into the life of higher education.
A college admission essay is an essay that the admission officers provide to the candidates in order to make their decision regarding the selection of students. Being an essay writer, you will be required to write around 200 to 700 words on a certain prompt provided by the college. You will be assessed on different things such as format, grammar, vocabulary, organization, and most importantly, the content of the essay.
Writing an effective admission essay allows the admission officers to learn about you. They get to know why you are unique and learn something that is not mentioned on your resume. You can write about a certain incident or achievement that proves your individuality, or a sport you play. The admission officers want you to convey your stories to them through this essay. Therefore, it is important that you put some time into writing the admission essay and research well before you start writing.
When I write my essay, I make sure to completely understand the topic I am about to write on. Essay prompts or topics provided for admission essays are super important. You need to take your time and read the instructions and prompt thoroughly before you start writing your essay. Here are a few tips that will help you throughout the process of crafting your amazing college admission essay.
- Make sure to read the instructions provided to you by the college thoroughly and avoid doing anything out of the provided instructions.
- Be sure to follow the format or structure that you are provided with until or unless mentioned otherwise.
- Usually, admission officers do not have a lot of time to go through the complete essays since they have a lot of essays to assess. Therefore, you must make the introduction and conclusion of your essay immaculate. Use attention-grabbers such as facts or exciting information in your introduction and make your conclusion comprehensive enough that it describes the entire gist of your essay.
- Do not use any overused information or clichés in your essay. For instance, starting a story with ‘Once upon a time’ or a conclusion with ‘in conclusion’.
- Be sure NOT to plagiarize anything. Plagiarism is considered a crime in academics, and having it in your college admission essay will surely not end up in good news for you.
- Do not forget to review your essay before you submit it. Proofreading is an important part of essay writing, and in this case, you definitely do not want to make any silly errors.
Now that we know what to do and what not to do for a college admission essay, let’s discuss the most common prompts or topics that you can receive for your admission essay.
7 Best Admission Essay Prompts
- Prompt 1: What makes you different? Do you have a story?
If you are provided with this prompt, then you are supposed to write an essay on yourself. This topic wants you to describe something unique or interesting about you that can help you stand out among the other candidates. You can mention a co-curricular activity, a hobby, an achievement, a meaningful experience, or an unusual incident. However, be sure not to include or repeat anything that has been mentioned in your resume.
- Prompt 2: Share an incident that taught you a lesson. Or narrate a time when you overcame/failed a challenge and how it affected you.
This prompt allows the admission officers to know about your development experiences and if you are able to take risks and handle pressure. You have to state any incident which was challenging for you and describe how you overcame it and how it made a difference in your life.
- Prompt 3: Talk about an accomplishment or a moment of personal growth.
The instruction of this prompt is obvious. You have to share an accomplishment or milestone in your life and talk about the experience.
- Prompt 4: Is there something you are grateful for?
This prompt wants you to discuss anything that you feel grateful about. It can be something a person has done for you, a moment of success in anything, or something or someone that exists in your life.
- Prompt 5: Describe a concept or an idea that you find fascinating.
You can describe any idea that you find interesting in this prompt. It can be something you love to do or see. This has to be something that you like and not anything in general. Try to make it more personal for it to be effective.
- Prompt 6: Reflect on a time when you challenged someone’s belief or idea. How did you proceed with the argument, and what were the outcomes?
This prompt requires you to talk about your principles and beliefs and how you respond to people with the opposite ones. You can share an experience where you had to defend your stance on a particular subject against someone who was not convinced by it.
- Prompt 7: Describe any topic or idea of your choice. It can be a topic you made up yourself, a topic you have done before, or one of the other prompts.
This prompt is self-explanatory. You can write anything you want; this prompt provides you with an open choice.
Now that you know about some of the most common prompts provided by college admission officers. It is time to start your research. You should gather some material beforehand if you want to write the best essay of your life. You can also contact a custom essay writing service who can guide you in writing the essay or even write one themselves for you to see and learn. Hopefully, this article will help you get admission to that dream college of yours. Good luck!